Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Married, Day 4

I’m trying to figure out how to decorate the apartment.  My style is French cottage, with lots of blue and purple mixed.  I’m thinking of thrift store shopping on Friday, since I am off.  Gina wants me to host a New Year’s Eve brunch, but I need the apartment in better shape, first.

I’m working on finding a new job.  I discovered that collecting unemployment is actually pretty hard to do as a temp, since after the assignment is over, you have to constantly call to ask for employment, or the agency will tell the EDD that you are quit your job.  You can never reject an assignment, either.

I had that interview at UCLA on Friday, but I don’t feel that great about it.  I wasn’t completely solid on the stupid Excel test, which they developed themselves.  Even agencies don’t ask you to know all the things UCLA asked!!  So I’ve applied for a few jobs off Craigslist, Indeed, and Monster.  I have 14 weeks after this week, so I should be able to find something.  My requirements are: good work environment, adequate training for the job, health insurance, vacation/sick days, and at least $28,000 a year.  It would be awful to work for that little, but that’s how much we need in order to pay all the bills.  After this many years working, I know I’m worth at least $32,000, but since most people want to pay $10 – 12/hour for an admin, I’ll be lucky to get $14.

Actually, the best thing for me to land a career track position in an insurance company as an assistant.  Most of those jobs want you to have a few years of clerical experience, and since that’s what I have, that would be the best job for me.  And it pays about $36,000 - $40,000.   I applied for two jobs like that, so we will see what happens.

Last night, I lit a Vanilla Spice candle to make the apartment smell good.  I thought we could let it burn all night, just fine, but Matt thinks it’s too dangerous.  I’m of the opinion that if it fell over, the melted wax would extinguish the flame right away. 

Tonight is pot roast and laundry.  I had Matt pick up paper to make Christmas paper chains, and we are going to cut out some snowflakes.  I need to get into the Christmas spirit.


No comments:

Post a Comment