I wanted to sew my own wedding dress for a variety of reasons. First, it was cheap. All I have to pay for is fabric. Second, because I couldn't find one I liked!
Once I decided to sew my own dress, I had to pick a pattern. Most wedding dress patterns are quite boring and plain. As a rather spiffy dresser most days anyway, I needed something fancy. Something over the top. But something easy.
After several months of hemming and hawing, I decided to use a pattern that I've already used, with a few adjustments. This is the pattern, and here is the drawing.
This is my drawing of what my dress will look like.
The major changes are:
- The sleeves are puffy, not tight.
- The petticoat is layers of lace
- There are two pickups in the back, and a train.
- The back neck is a V.
My inspiration for the puffy sleeves was this dress:
Gorgeous! If I can find brocade similar to the trim on that dress, I am tempted to have it.
Actually, if I can find a similar brocade for the stomacher and trim, I will have the sleeves and petticoat both sheer, and nix the lace layers on the petticoat. It's the lace or the brocade - not both.
That is part one. As I cut out the lining and mold the dress to my figure, I will continue to post instructions in this series.