Wednesday, August 17, 2011

How to Sew a Wedding Dress: Part One

I wanted to sew my own wedding dress for a variety of reasons.  First, it was cheap.  All I have to pay for is fabric.  Second, because I couldn't find one I liked!

Once I decided to sew my own dress, I had to pick a pattern.  Most wedding dress patterns are quite boring and plain.  As a rather spiffy dresser most days anyway, I needed something fancy.  Something over the top.  But something easy.

After several months of hemming and hawing, I decided to use a pattern that I've already used, with a few adjustments.  This is the pattern, and here is the drawing.



This is my drawing of what my dress will look like. 


The major changes are:

- The sleeves are puffy, not tight.
- The petticoat is layers of lace
- There are two pickups in the back, and a train.
- The back neck is a V.

My inspiration for the puffy sleeves was this dress:



Gorgeous!  If I can find brocade similar to the trim on that dress, I am tempted to have it. 

Actually, if I can find a similar brocade for the stomacher and trim, I will have the sleeves and petticoat both sheer, and nix the lace layers on the petticoat.  It's the lace or the brocade - not both.

That is part one.  As I cut out the lining and mold the dress to my figure, I will continue to post instructions in this series.

1 comment: